Monday, June 30, 2014

NYX Macaron Lippies part 2 Review & Swatches

In case you've been dying with anticipation, you can all breathe a sigh of relief because I'm finally bringing you part 2 of the Nyx Macaron collection.
If you need a refresher on part 1, you can find that here.

Right now all NYX products are currently 40% off at Ulta so if you wanted to try these, now is the perfect time to pick some up!


My complaint that I mentioned in the first half still rings true for the other half- as you can see on the right.
--Alright my first complaint comes from the packaging. Admittedly you get what you pay for. All the lipsticks above that are turned all the way up are the ones that sort of broke.
So the 3 that are low were fine...but the others..when I went to twist up the lipstick for the first time, they were hard to twist and when they came undone they kind of snapped... It's super hard to explain but when you twist the lipstick up as you normally would, it starts to slide back down and does not stay up. The only way to get it to stay up is to twist it all the way.
This makes application a little difficult but I don't mind too much. It's just a minor inconvenience.
I did find other reviews that mentioned it so obviously it's not just me. Hopefully they will fix this issue in future productions.


This second half contains all of my favorites!


From top to bottom we have: Black Sesame, Blue Velvet, Violet, Key Lime, Pistachio, and Coconut


Gorgeous, right! So pigmented and fun!

Black Sesame lip swatch (with flash)
So first we have Black Sesame. This is a true corpse-style lipstick. It's gray and it's fabulous.

Black Sesame lip swatch, daylight bulb
I honestly like it a lot more than I thought I would!

Blue Velvet lip swatch with flash
Blue Velvet is one of the best! It's so vibrant, pigmented, and creamy. The only way I could love this more is if it were a little more matte.

Blue Velvet daylight bulb
Definitely a fun summer color! It reminds me of the OCC lip tar Pool Boy.

Violet lip swatch (with flash)
Violet is FANTASTIC. If you have been wanting a purple lipstick, this is definitely one to snap up. It had the most pigmentation out of the whole collection, and was one of the creamiest ones as well. It just looks so great!

Violet lip swatch, daylight bulb
Key Lime lip swatch with flash
Key Lime is a unique green lipstick. I normally would not reach for green lipstick but this doesn't look that bad! The pigmentation however is not great, and it definitely needs to be built up. I am not one who minds that though but as you can see above even with building it up it's a little patchy.

Key Lime lip swatch, daylight bulb
Next up is my favorite from the whole collection!

Pistachio lip swatch with flash
Pistachio is a cross between mint green and teal, depending on the lighting. It's just extremely unique and beautiful.

Pistachio with daylight bulb
Honestly my swatches do not do this color justice! This one is also very creamy and pigmented.

Last but not least we have a lipstick that will scare most- a white lipstick!
While I highly doubt I will ever wear a white lipstick on it's own, it can be used to lighten up other lipstick shades.

Coconut lip swatch with flash
Let's be real- it looks silly on me! I imagine that with a fun lip liner though, this could make a pretty gradient lip!

Coconut with daylight bulb
Even it if looks a little 'off', an opaque white lipstick is so hard to come by. Of course it took a few coats to get to this point but it IS possible!


So that completes the NYX Macaron collection (minus Rose).

The best: Violet, Blue Velvet, Pistachio - all are extremely vivid and pigmented and less tendency to settle into lip lines
The worst: Key Lime, Orange Blossom, Citron - as could be expected, the lighter, pale colors are a little more difficult. They take more effort to build up and settle really badly into fine lines. If you can get past this and make them work they are definitely unique shades that are a great addition to a makeup kit!

Have you picked up any lipsticks from this collection? Which are your favorites?

Till next time,
Ember Darling

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading & replying to comments so always check back here to see my reply!
I encourage you to leave a link to your blog so that I can check it out!

EmberDarling